Pregnant women need early and regular prenatal care to help ensure their babies are born full term and at a healthy weight. Unfortunately, not all women have a support system to help care for themselves, manage stress and receive prenatal care. The Northwest Ohio Pathways HUB regional care coordination system launched in 2007 to combat infant mortality in Lucas County. Since then, low-income pregnant women have been connected to the medical care and social services needed to have full-term, healthy weight babies.
The Pathways HUB system relies on community health workers and other care coordinators employed by multiple clinical and community sites to assist those in need by working with them to develop a care plan and overcome barriers. Pathways HUB staff coordinates and trains community health workers and other care coordinators, as well as tracks intervention results.
The Pathways HUB expanded in 2015 to address diabetes, heart disease and other chronic conditions in Lucas County through a three-year Partnerships to Improve Community Health grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additional expansions have followed elsewhere in northwest Ohio – including to Allen, Erie and Sandusky counties – and to other vulnerable Lucas County populations, including all low-income women of child-bearing age and people with abnormal mammogram results.
To make a referral to the Pathways HUB, please click here for the form.
Pathways Care Coordination Sites
- Baby University
- Compassion Health Toledo
- The Dental Center of Northwest Ohio
- East Toledo Family Center
- Erie County Health Department/Erie County Community Health Center
- Family House
- Heartbeat of Toledo, Your First Look
- Mercy Health
- Neighborhood Health Association
- Ohio Living Home Health and Hospice
- Sandusky County EMS
- Toledo/Lucas County CareNet
- Toledo-Lucas County Health Department
- University Church
- University of Toledo Medical Center
Pathways Funding Partners
- Buckeye Health Plan
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Fostering Healthy Communities (ProMedica, Mercy Health, University of Toledo Medical Center)
- Molina Healthcare
- Ohio Commission on Minority Health
- Ohio Department of Medicaid/The Ohio Colleges of Medicine Government Resource Center
- Paramount Advantage
- Toledo Community Foundation
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Health Resources and Services Administration
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan